Friday, May 9, 2014

Open Your Heart, Open Your Wallet: South Cambodia



My brother researched our family heritage a few years ago and discovered that my father’s descendants were captains from Wales. Ever since then, I’ve always loved to imagine that my keenness for the sea is engraved in my blood. I am a mermaid through legacy. 

So after an eye-opening two and a half weeks in Siem Reap where I visited one of the world’s wonders’ Angkor Wat, lived amongst the Bakong village, and danced on Pub Street with retreat friends, I decided to hit the ocean. Many shared stories earlier on from the Hariharalaya retreat made known that Otres Beach was a hippy happy paradise in Southern Cambodia. I was set to go.

Otres Beach definitely matched all expectations with aqua blue water, island mountains jutting out in the background, and delicious seafood served at Mushroom Point Lounge. Tourism has just touched this emerging destination with bungalows and hostels only a few years young. In contrast, Serendipity Beach is a quick tuk-tuk ride away and is already flooded with bars, pub food, party, and prostitutes. I can only pray that Otres can survive a few years without reaching this level of saturation.

I arrived and immediately ran into the ocean, which surprisingly reminded me of the Charleston summer water. . .  the temperature of a bathtub. And the corners of my mouth stretched into a smile as I made this relation. Within minutes of drying off, Khmer locals, who hoped I would buy a pedicure, massage, or bracelets, approached me. This one lady, Tia Maria, was so persistent. She made me a free bracelet and told me if I wanted anything later to come to her. I said ok, feeling a bit overwhelmed.

An hour later I felt ready to get pampered as one Khmer lady was convincing me, “I make you pretty, you get boyfriend.” Then her friend arrived, who I thought was Tia Maria from earlier, and I conceded to getting a pedicure, a full body threading, and a hair wrap. After two minutes of these kind ladies working, another Khmer lady approached me. She started yelling, “Lady you promise me, you help my friends why you not help me?” And instantly I realized I had mixed up Tia Maria.

I tried to explain the mixup but she just stood there angry, while the other Khmers just kept working on me. As Jenny finished my hair wrap and moved to my armpits, Tia Maria started screaming at these ladies pampering me. They all started screaming, in a language I couldn’t understand, and then Tia Maria looked at me and said, “you are a fucking ugly bitch.” I immediately stood up, stopped the work the ladies were doing, and retreated into the ocean. I let my tears from this woman's cruel words flow into the deep blue. I knew I didn’t owe this lady anything. But I couldn’t help but feeling disturbed by her fresh mouth.

After gaining composure I thought this hateful lady had enough, so I returned to my chair. She continued saying nasty comments about me in English, and a whole catfight erupted between the nice Khmers and Tia Maria. I grabbed my belongings and said enough-I ripped the free bracelet off my hand, and just walked away. Thankfully a friend I had met at the bar walked with me on the beach as I sniffled, telling her what all the commotion was about. Truthfully, before the retreat I would have been in Tia Maria’s face bouncing nasty language right back to her. And I probably would have just sat there, getting myself all heated about it. But one thing I’ve learned in the past years is that you never need to stay in a situation you feel uncomfortable. Backlash serves no purpose, just walk away.

When I went to get a breather at my hostel, the owner was very interested in what happened. He knew exactly who this lady was and walked to the beach to tell her she was never welcome in front of his property again. He told the police the same. And just like that, I felt cared for.


The following day, my birthday, the nice Khmers finished pampering me. My friends on the beach, new company and some retreat friends I had reunited with, joined in the class service of these ladies. They made me feel like a Queen and one Khmer, Jenny, was obsessed with the way I laughed- she had me cackling all afternoon!

We took a boat adventure tour of three islands on my last day. A trip from 9am to 4pm, for the cost of $12! However, when we went snorkeling the boat anchored on the coral and I soon realized there is no international regulation of the reefs. Countless tourists were standing on the coral, I was enraged, tried my best to explain to them how they were killing the wildlife by stepping on it, but no one listened to me. One tourist stepped on a sea urchin and rather than feeling sorry for her pain, I thought “well damn right.” It was a beautiful adventure but I know that if I return in a few years all the coral will be dead. And that is a sad, sad thing.

Another quick boat ride changed the energy around as we had the island of Koh Te Kiev all to ourselves. Right out of a postcard- jungle behind us and a beautiful ocean in front. I spent the majority of the afternoon floating and swimming far out with my great friend Irene from the retreat. We imagined the islands in the distance to be animals- a turtle, a dinosaur, and an otter. We spoke about trying to soak in all the small details. The feeling of your face half in water and half above it. The sense of sand between the toes. The freedom in having this big expanse just for us. It was very beautiful and she helped me remember how very fortunate and blessed we are.

I brought in the age of 24 with jade manicured nails, silky smooth sun-kissed skin, and countless pina coladas. I filled the day practicing yoga in the ocean, gorging on seafood, and having friends (who days earlier were strangers) provide constant birthday hugs. As I ordered a cocktail before sunset on May 4th, music filled my ears and reminded me I was exactly where I was supposed to be. The song playing was by Bakermat, and I had used it as the soundtrack for a video tribute to my brother. The pure chances of musical alignment gave me the shivers.


Music, when it hits you, makes you feel all right.


No comments:

Post a Comment