Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Bienvenidos a España: Barcelona y Madrid

I took a morning flight from Brussels to Madrid. My first RyanAir flight and all went smoothly. This airline is known for being extremely cheap, but if you don't follow their rules to a T then they get you, 50euros for each wrong doing. It compares to Southwest airlines back home because you choose your seat when you board. Landed and made my way to my best friend Lauren's best friend's house. A phrase jumble of best friends. I knew it was going to be a fun stay because I always hear such great stories about Lauren's friend, their group goes back years and consists of like 12 girls or something. It was Claudia's birthday as well so I was happy to get to share in on her Feliz cumpleanos festivities.

     I helped Claudia and her mom create some tapas for her party and I played with her kitties-I miss my two back home. Her friends started arriving and I soon realized this was going to be a hell of a lot of people, twenty something, all speaking a language I haven't practiced in 2 years. Although it was a little hard at first, some of Lauren's friends spoke with me in English. It was fun meeting all the girls Lauren holds so close to her heart, to realize which ones she was probably closer with (since I knew which ones I would be closer with). A few hours later and we were moving the party to some DJ concert, something like 12 euros with 2 drinks included. It was a crazy scene, so many people, lightshows...and I was so into it I never even got my 2 free drinks. By the time we were walking home it was 6AM. Bienvenido a (Welcome to) España.

Me and one of the finicky kitties
 Slept in until 12pm, but that was only 5 or so hours sleep. After a little couch action, Claudia took me on a walk through the city. Just as we were walking out of the metro, Rain. But by the time we got some tapas, shopped for new headphones for me (an essential), it had pretty much stopped. We walked by some pretty fountains, important buildings (where royalty lived), and took a bus back starting on the street that today's Spain Day parade took place. That night we met with Rocio at a bar, each 1 euro beer you got a tapas. Pretty great deal. Then we met up with Angelica and her boyfriend and got some Kalimoxto (red wine and Pepsi), a pretty refreshing combo, and walked the streets. Early night in, around 1AM (haha, but really it was early for Spanish standards). Next day, rainy, chill in day. Went out that night with more of Lauren's friends, had some tapas and talk at Rocio's beforehand. First bar was a hipster spot followed by this more clublike scene. It was only when we had to go to the bathroom did we realize....SECOND LEVEL. Wahoo. More party.
Walk in the Park
The following day Claudia's mom let me drive her car. It was awesome being behind the wheel again. Driving to the park was a little annoying since there was absolutely no parking. Once I finally found a spot, I do have to admit, my parallel parking skills have gotten pretty close to poor. So it was a little bit of a laugh getting the job done. The park was pretty and we had another nice dinner in cooked by her mom-oh how I've missed home cooked goodness.
  By the last day I'd started getting adapted to conversing in Spanish. It was still a bit of a struggle, especially the way that a lot of people from Madrid speak super fast. At least in comparison to Latin America it is definitely the case. But I'm getting better, and I'm happy it's coming back to me.
     Morning ride to Mallorca. Landed, off to catch the bus just taking where the info counter directed me. As the bus was getting more and more crowded, and I was getting more and more squished, I looked out the window and saw a sign Bus 29 to S'Arenal. Shit, fuck, wanka, bollocks. I was on Bus 1. After some people departed I asked where to go, a bus in the other direction, yeah gotcha, of course. The next bus driver, not so nice when I was trying to ask for specific directions to my hostel (all in Spanish at least). He was a character, just grumbled a lot. On the way to my stop I saw him smoke a cig even though there are 5 signs all over the bus of no smoking, and I saw him take 10euros from a German guy for the fare (which he pocketed). I felt kinda bad for the German guy, seemed like he had the money anyway, but c'mon the fare was 1.50euro. The guy just got confused because there is a sign in Spanish that says no change over 10euros, and it's all in Spanish and the 10euros part is red and bigger font. I wonder how many tourists get confused, I wonder if it was in a different language if I'd get confused too.

Like I said, Aint Nothing Better than a Sunset
   My hostel was more like a hotel. Super 8 Hotel style, but still a hotel. I had two beds all to myself, a balcony, my own bathroom! Heaven for a backpacker like me. The beach, a 3 minute walk out the door. I tried to catch a bus to the main city so I could catch an epic old style train to check out this quaint village. Public transport failed me yet again and I ended up waiting forever on a bus that doesn't exist. I ended up just walking the streets and rented a car for the following 2 days. I wanted to check out the whole of Mallorca. And if I was going to do that, I just needed to suck it up and pay a little more to have convenience at my fingertips. I just followed the sun all along the coastline as it was dipping down. I found the perfect rocky beach side to walk. Took a few photos and looked down and was overcome with sea glass at my feet. So much of it. I was like a scavenger pilling loads into my shirt pocket. I soon realized this was probably a bad thing that I was able to find this much sea glass, not cool pollution creators, not cool. The sunset was epic, and about 20 planes flew in right above my head. Sunset has got to be my favorite time of the day. It's just breathtaking. Back to the place with pizza in hand, Spanish ham- the best.
 Oh I forgot to mention. This island is German tourist central. All the restaurants are marketed to them, even menu items include German classics. I found it annoying, it was like "German Shore" instead of Jersey Shore in the way this beach set up could be compared. That's why I didn't care on spending a fortune on a car, I needed to see the real gems on the island. First day driving I went along the coast to beautiful lookouts and top rated beaches. I stayed a while at one but was still overwhelmed with Germans, so I left. If they were espanolas I wouldn't have cared, but since they were speaking their language that didnt match the scene, I was aggravated. Next I ventured to the small village of Deia and took an awesome, windy ride up and then down a mountain. Such a fun ride, could have paid a toll to go through the mountain, but the extra miles were completely worth the view. Deia was such a beautiful quaint town with nice people. Set on the mountain all the houses were one with nature. I played with a kitty cat and then I went on my way to another village, Valdemossa. This town was very cute as well, but more geared towards tourism with high-end shops, so I preferred the smaller Deia. None of the places blogs had recommended were open so I chanced on a restaurant that smelled delicious. When I asked for the check the waiter said, "would you like the small check or the big one", I was quick to giggle in Spanish "the small one". A nice discount, and a great meal...I guess traveling alone can have its perks.

Village of Deia
The next day I went to conquer the north and northwest since that's all I had left to uncover. I got lost in a town or two, but finally found my way to the bluest of waters. I know I continually say blue waters, but I swear the water has gotten clearer and clearer along my journey. Midday I trekked to a beautiful bay and cliff top lighthouse. Another crazy mountain driving experience where the whole time my mouth was dropped to the floor in awe of how naturally amazing this island is. Once I reached the light house i got to chat privately with a mountain goat, then it was back down the mountain before it got too dark. I dinned at a local place, which served great food. But I hate eating alone, especially out to eat, it's such a social thing I think. There's only so much I want to think with to myself.

Formentor Bay
     The next morning I returned the car. I said I was going to catch the sunrise the past 2 days. I've said it a lot of the trip. And I can just never make myself. The comfort of the bed, where I can just dream about the pretty rays is always more appealing. A nice lounge on the beach for the remainder of the afternoon until I had to catch the plane back to Madrid.
    What wonderful island time. I believe I'm meant to live by the water, at least most of my life. There is something so calming by having it around you. I could look out at the water and think forever. So captivating.
  One of the many college apps I'd written was: "Write page 190 of your life journal". I know the context had something to do with environmental work, and the setting was Mallorca. I know I'm just here on vacation, journey of self exploration you may call it...but I'm here in Mallorca, and I think that counts for something.


Me, At Peace, In Love

No comments:

Post a Comment